Thursday, March 12, 2009

Searching for motivation...

I've hit a slump in my running. It all began when I realized they closed out the MORE half marathon this week before I had an opportunity to register. It's never closed before...so I had no indication that it would do so again. I have been training all winter in frigid temps in the hope that I would shatter my current PR. Running is something that does not come easily for me...I'm not a natural endurance runner...I'm fighting nature every time I set out for a long run. I'm built to cycle....maybe run sprints....but the long distance running is a challenge each and every time. I think that is why I do it, because if it came easily to me what fun would that be ;). So here I sit...I did NOT run again today. Matter of fact, I didn't run all week. My disappointment on Tuesday about the race has completely stopped my running in it's proverbial tracks. Seems rather silly, since the main reason I run is to maintain my sanity. The second reason I run is to maintain my fitness level, it's a great complement to the cycling and pilates. However, with this one simple disappointment I'm finding my motivation has taken a holiday. Maybe I just need a good week off from running to reflect. I haven't taken a week off from running in nearly a year, except for once when I was attending a fitness conference out West and was putting in 5 hours a day of workouts anyway. I guess it's time to bust out the most cliche'd cheesy quote of all times...it does seem rather appropriate:

"If you love something, set it free, if it comes back to you it was meant to be...."

Ha ha...not sure I love running....but I think I am in love with how I feel AFTER I run. So it's close enough for quotational purposes. I'm going to set my running free for a few days. Let's see if it comes back to me.

2 comments:

  1. I say stay motivated and find another 1/2 in your area or close to you. I did that last year, one of the races I was training all summer got cancelled so I found another race (which was closer) and did that one.

    I have a love/hate relationship with running too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you and Shannon are my running idols because I just have a hate relationship with it!

    I understand about having a motivation holiday... we all go through that (and with lots of other things besides exercise)... I think I read somewhere about the number of times a person will start and stop a fitness routine... don't remember the number though.

    Sometimes when we take a physical break, it really gets our mind back into the works so you can get excited again :)

    Also, I'm so intrigued by your home studio!

    ReplyDelete